Dental: Fifty-Plus Health
- Last Updated: 11.21.13
Maintaining good oral health is important to everyone. An infection in your mouth or teeth can spread and make your entire body ill. These tips can help keep your mouth and teeth healthy:
- Brush your teeth two times a day and floss once a day.
- Rinse your mouth frequently, especially after meals.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, limiting sugars and sweets.
- Drink plenty of water, approximately eight 8-ounce glasses per day.
- Use an electric toothbrush to help aid in brushing.
- Soak dentures and partials in warm water and/or denture cleaner daily.
- Brush your dentures and/or partials daily.
- Remove dentures at night to let your gum tissue breathe.
- Schedule regular six months or yearly dental appointments, whether you have natural teeth or dentures.
- See your dentist if you have any pain in your mouth.
- Talk to your doctor if your medication causes dry mouth.
For more information on dental health, call the Anne Arundel County Department of Health's Learn To Live Program at 410-222-7979. Request the Fifty-Plus Health Kit with information on oral health. In it you will receive practical health tips, local resources, helpful websites, a healthy lifestyle newsletter and brochures with information on oral health.
For more information on dental services provided by the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, call 410-222-7138 (Annapolis) or 410-222-6861 (Glen Burnie).