Last updated: January 3, 2019
Curry powder gives this side dish a taste of India. Serve over brown rice.
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped or grated (or 1/8 tsp. dried ground ginger)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
- 1 14-ounce can no-sodium added diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. salt, optional
- Brown rice, cooked
Combine onion and ginger in food processor or blender and pulse until minced. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture and curry powder. Saute 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in spinach, water and salt. Cook another minute until spinach wilts. Serve over brown rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 150 calories. Fat: 2 grams. Sodium: 80 milligrams. Fiber: 8 grams. Saturated Fat: 0 grams. Total Carbohydrates: 28 grams. Protein: 7 grams.
*Variation: Try other beans such as navy beans, black-eyed peas or lentils in place of chickpeas. These beans should be cooked before using in this recipe.
Recipe adapted from fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org.