COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and You: Click here to learn more.

All Department of Health offices are closed. Click here for a list of services.

Environmental Health Notice

During the Department of Health's focus on COVID-19, the ability to renew or approve new permits is limited.

On March 5, the Maryland Governor ordered that the "expiration date of each Covered Authorization is hereby extended to the 30th day after the date by which the state of emergency is terminated." As the Department of Health is an agency of the State, this same rule will be followed for permits issued by the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, Bureau of Environmental Health. This extension of permits will include well permits, perc applications, septic installation permits, waste hauler permits, commercial pool licenses, and pool operator and life guard licenses. At this time, the processing of new permits and the inspections related are limited and if there are questions, please contact the respective program for guidance.

Clean Indoor Air Act

Last updated: May 16, 2019

Clean Indoor Air Act

The Maryland Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA) of 2007 prohibits smoking indoors in public places, including restaurants and bars. The purpose of the act is to preserve and improve the health, comfort and environment of people in Maryland by limiting exposure to environmental tobacco smoke Click here to read the regulations issued for the Clean Indoor Air Act.

The Maryland Department of Health created toolkits containing guides for the public, bars, restaurants, hotels and motels; samples of no smoking signs; and quit smoking resources that are available here. County information on quit smoking resources is available from the Anne Arundel County Department of Health at, or call the Learn To Live Line at 410-222-7979.

For more information about the Maryland CIAA, call 866-703-3266.

Business owners, employees and the general public may have questions on the implementation of the Clean Indoor Air Act. See the Question and Answer Guide below to get general information on the act.

Maryland Clean Indoor Air Act Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Clean Indoor Air Act of 2007 do?

The act helps to protect the public from environmental tobacco smoke, which is also called “secondhand smoke.” The act prohibits smoking in the following public places:

  • An indoor area open to the public;
  • An indoor meeting place open to the public;
  • Indoor places of employment;
  • Mass transit vehicles;
  • Private homes and residences being used by a licensed day care or child care provider;
  • Private vehicles used for the public transportation of children or as part of health care or day care transportation; and
  • Clubs with alcohol licenses.

See Health Risks of Secondhand Smoke (PDF)

What does an Anne Arundel County business owner need to do to comply with the law?
Smoking is prohibited in all bars, restaurants and most other businesses with indoor areas open to the public. If you own or operate a business with indoor areas open to the public in Anne Arundel County, you must

  • prohibit smoking in your establishment, and
  • post “No Smoking” signs at each entrance and prominent location inside your establishment.

How can an Anne Arundel County business owner apply for a waiver?
Download the Instructions for Completing and Submitting the Application for a Waiver (PDF). Submit completed waiver applications to the Bureau of Environmental Health, Anne Arundel County Department of Health, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401.

As a patron of an Anne Arundel County public facility, including a restaurant or bar, where do I file a complaint if smoking is permitted indoors?
If you feel comfortable doing so, point out the problem to someone in charge of the facility or to a staff member. Formal complaints can be filed by mail, fax, phone or in person with the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, Bureau of Environmental Health, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401, Phone: 410-222-7192, Fax: 410-222-7678. See Clean Indoor Air Program Complaint Form (PDF).

As an employee, where can I report violations of the Act?
Maryland Occupational Safety and Health (MOSH) is responsible for protecting employees. Call 410-527-4447 to request a complaint form or write to MOSH at 10946 Golden West Drive, Suite 160, Hunt Valley, MD 21031. Visit the MOSH website.

How can I get smoking cessation help in Anne Arundel County?
The Anne Arundel County Department of Health Learn To Live program offers smoking cessation assistance to people who live, work or attend school in Anne Arundel County. For more information about FREE quit smoking kits, classes and resources, call the Learn To Live Line at 410-222-7979 or visit the For help in other Maryland jurisdictions, visit

Contact Us | Directory of Services | Employment Opportunities | Employees Only

Anne Arundel County Government | Maryland Department of Health | Site Use Policy and Disclaimer | ADA Notice

Anne Arundel County Department of Health | 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway Annapolis, Maryland 21401
410-222-7095 | TTY (Relay): 7-1-1 | © 2020