Last updated: October 16, 2020
Influenza, also known as the flu, is a serious illness that affects people of all ages. One of the best ways to prevent the flu is through vaccinations. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, getting a vaccine for seasonal flu is more important this year than ever.
Anne Arundel County Public Schools and the Anne Arundel County Department of Health are teaming up to offer FREE seasonal flu vaccinations for healthy children in grades K-5 and their immediate families in all Title I elementary schools. In an effort to maintain social distancing, vaccine will be administered in walk-up clinics immediately following school lunch distribution at the school. Pre-registration is required.
This year, the vaccine will be FluMist®, a nasal spray that is a safe and easy way to give the seasonal flu vaccine to children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the nasal spray for healthy children when it is available. Live, Intranasal Influenza Vaccine Information Statement
If you want your child to be vaccinated:
- Visit FluMist Clinics to register for the clinic and enter all required information.
- Enter your insurance type only. You will NOT be charged by us or your insurance company.
- Make sure to enter your email. This is how you will be receiving clinic reminders and proof of vaccination documentation.
- Add all family members/children to be vaccinated.
If your child is under 9 years of age and did not receive two or more total doses of influenza vaccine before July 1, 2020 or if you are uncertain about whether your child received two or more total doses of seasonal vaccine before July 1, 2020, then your child will need a second dose.
For more information about this year’s seasonal flu vaccine, which offers protection against four flu strains, contact the following resources:
- Your family health care provider
- Your school nurse
- The Department of Health’s Immunization Services at 410-222-4896 or www.aahealth.org
We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to help prevent the spread of the flu and protect the health of your child and your family.
Nilesh Kalyanaraman, M.D.
Anne Arundel County Department of Health
George Arlotto, Ed.D.
Anne Arundel County Public Schools