Pesto sauce and cannellini beans are popular in many Italian dishes.
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. black pepper
Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain and place in large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, garlic, spinach, basil, chicken broth and parmesan cheese to a blender. Mix well until leaves are blended. Pour sauce over pasta. Mix until pasta is well coated. Add beans, red bell pepper and black pepper. Lightly toss and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 360 calories. Fat: 6 grams. Sodium: 400 milligrams. Fiber: 8 grams. Saturated Fat: 2 grams. Total Carbohydrates: 62 grams. Protein: 16 grams.
Variation: Use diced tomatoes instead of bell peppers. Try chickpeas instead of white beans.
Recipe adapted from fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org.